Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

The error about PIO

Zh Chen

chen
Hi, everyone,
I am using CESM2.1.5 and 2.2.2, I encounter an error in CESM2.2.2, but the same config(machine, compiler) is successful in CESM2.1.5.
I already link to netcdf, however, it's unuseful. Thanks!
./create_newcase --case mycase --res hcru_hcru --compset I2000Clm50SpGs --compiler intel --mach mycomp --run-unsupported
./case.build --skip-provenance-check

## ERROR: /cime/src/build_scripts/buildlib.pio FAILED, cat bld/pio.bldlog.240122

Attachments

• pio.bldlog.240123.txt
    16.5 KB · Views: 7
  • CMakeError.log.txt
    48 KB · Views: 3
  • configs.xml.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 2

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The pio library and build process is different. The failure you are getting are in cmake:
-- Check size of size_t - failed
-- Check size of long long
-- Check size of long long - failed
-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

It looks like you have a very old software stack - you may try updating cmake (you have 3.17 latest is 3.28). You should also consider updating
the intel compiler and the netcdf library.

Zh Chen

chen
The pio library and build process is different. The failure you are getting are in cmake:
-- Check size of size_t - failed
-- Check size of long long
-- Check size of long long - failed
-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

It looks like you have a very old software stack - you may try updating cmake (you have 3.17 latest is 3.28). You should also consider updating
the intel compiler and the netcdf library.
Thank you for your response. The error has been resolved by following your advice to update the cmake version.
I am using CTSM5.1.dev165 with the CIME tag cime6.0.175. The build process was successful, but I am facing an error when trying to submit the case.

NetCDF=4.9.2, ESMF=8.6.0, cmake=3.19.6.
./create_newcase --case I2000Clm50SpRs_T11 --res hcru_hcru_mt13 --compset I2000Clm50SpRs --compiler intel --mach mycomp --run-unsupported
./xmlchange NTASKS=128
./case.setup
./case.build --skip-provenance-check
./case.submit
The cesm.log doesn't contain useful information. The PET0.ESMF_LogFile first mentions that Invalid NTASKS value specified for component: cpl. I'm not sure if it's the 'MPILIB=impi' I set that caused the problem.
Could anyone suggest to me how can I resolve this problem? Thanks.

Attachments

• cesm.log.3510324.240313-233936.txt
    14.6 KB · Views: 4
  • mycomp.cmake.txt
    456 bytes · Views: 3
  • PET.ESMF_LogFile.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 5

Yuan Sun

Yuan Sun
I met this error before, which may be caused by ESMF. You may install ESM without setting ESMF_COMM.

According to 9 Building and Installing ESMF, 'ESMF can be built using a single-processor MPI-bypass library that comes with ESMF by setting ESMF_COMM=mpiuni. This allows ESMF applications to be linked and run in single-process mode.'

Please re-install ESMF with mpi. Hope it works.

Best,
Yuan

Zh Chen

chen
I met this error before, which may be caused by ESMF. You may install ESM without setting ESMF_COMM.

According to 9 Building and Installing ESMF, 'ESMF can be built using a single-processor MPI-bypass library that comes with ESMF by setting ESMF_COMM=mpiuni. This allows ESMF applications to be linked and run in single-process mode.'

Please re-install ESMF with mpi. Hope it works.

Best,
Yuan
Hi Yuan, Thanks for your response. I re-install ESMF with mpi, and I met the same error that you experienced, This functionality requires ESMF to be built with the PIO library enabled. I hope you can provide me with some advice. Thanks.

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You can build PIO first and set
export ESMF_PIO=external
ESMF_PIO_LIBPATH=
ESMF_PIO_INCLUDE=

or you can set ESMF_PIO=internal and build with ESMF.

Zh Chen

chen
You can build PIO first and set
export ESMF_PIO=external
ESMF_PIO_LIBPATH=
ESMF_PIO_INCLUDE=

or you can set ESMF_PIO=internal and build with ESMF.
Thanks for your quick reply! I re-installed ESMF with ESMF_PIO=internal, The CTSM5.1.dev165 build was successful, however, I got the error in cesm.log that when submitting the case, I found the same problem and thus guessed the case was out of the memory, so I tried to increase NTASK from 128 to 512, but it didn't resolve the problem. The memory is OK and Please rebuild the model interactively after checking with the system administrator. Thanks.

Attachments

• cesm.log.txt
    29.5 KB · Views: 1

Yuan Sun

Yuan Sun
Thanks for your quick reply! I re-installed ESMF with ESMF_PIO=internal, The CTSM5.1.dev165 build was successful, however, I got the error in cesm.log that when submitting the case, I found the same problem and thus guessed the case was out of the memory, so I tried to increase NTASK from 128 to 512, but it didn't resolve the problem. The memory is OK and Please rebuild the model interactively after checking with the system administrator. Thanks.
Hi Chen,

The CESM.log gave a general record. Could you check the PET000.ESMF_LogFile in your case directory? If exits, this file shows how ESMF works or ESMF-specific errors.

Before installing ESMF, I followed the suggestion from Jedwards and installed PIO2.6.0 as the external library. Please refer to: Abort with message NetCDF: NC_UNLIMITED size already in use in file

Best,
Yuan

Zh Chen

chen
Hi Chen,

The CESM.log gave a general record. Could you check the PET000.ESMF_LogFile in your case directory? If exits, this file shows how ESMF works or ESMF-specific errors.

Before installing ESMF, I followed the suggestion from Jedwards and installed PIO2.6.0 as the external library. Please refer to: Abort with message NetCDF: NC_UNLIMITED size already in use in file

Best,
Yuan
Hi, Yuan.

Thank you for your reply! I have resolved the error that occurred due to the changes I made in the intel.cmake file. The CTSM5.1.dev165 case now runs successfully after restoring the default intel.cmake file. And thank you for your help, @jedwards.