Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Run CICE only for northern hemisphere (lmask_n)

LauravanDijke

Laura van Dijke
Dear all,

I am working on some simulations using CICE as a standalone model. I am only interested in what happens in the Arctic, so I would like to run the model for only the northern hemisphere. In the CICE documentation I found that this can be achieved using the hemisphere mask (lmask_n) which is created in ice_grid. However, I do not fully understand where I should make changes to ensure that only the northern hemisphere data is computed and written. Is there anyone who can help me with this?

Thank you!

Best,
Laura

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
This is an interesting concept. The mask is read in from the grid file. So, it might just be easier to make a new NH grid rather than reading in the global grid and masking out the SH. In fact, you could probably make a grid from 40N to 90N or something like that. You can look in the inputdata grid file area. These are netcdf files. So you can see what is needed for a CICE run. @tcraig has experience with the RASM model which is an Arctic only domain.