Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

negative wet deposition flux of sulfate?

m6lin@ucsd_edu

I am working on the data downloaded from ACCMIP (The Atmospheric Chemistry and Climate Model Intercomparison Project). I found that the wet_SO4 in San Diego area in both CAM3.5 and 5.1 are negative. I was wondering what the negative value means. If I want to calculate the lifetime of sulfate, how should I do with these negative data? Thanks.

hyf412694462

HE Yanfeng
Hello m6lin and zhao,

Have you solved this question? When I conduct experiments using CLM5 (--compset I1850Clm50BgcCrop), I checked the input data of N deposition (fndep_clm_hist_b.e21.BWHIST.f09_g17.CMIP6-historical-WACCM.ensmean_1849-2015_monthly_0.9x1.25_c180926.nc).

I found part (within Antarctic) of the wet deposition flux of NHx in the above .nc file is negative. I think negative fluxes are not physically realistic, but they are very small (10^-30) and may not significantly impact the overall results of the model. I just wonder what the negative values means? Is it reasonable or caused by some bugs in WACCM? How should I treat those negative values, should I just zeroing those negative values?

I would like to appreciate any information you could provide.
1701245748860.png

rrbuchholz

Rebecca Buchholz
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi there,
Wet deposition values are negative in the atm history files because the species are removed from the atmosphere.
In the lnd history files wet deposition values are positive because wet deposition adds to the land model component.
Cheers,
Rebecca