Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Missing ctsm5.2.0 inputdata

Will Smith

Will Smith
Hi everyone,

I'm using CESM2.3.alpha17, and I've encountered some missing data while running certain cases. Specifically, I'm looking for the files "surfdata_1.9x2.5_hist_78pfts_CMIP6_1850_c230517.nc" and "surfdata_0.9x1.25_hist_78pfts_CMIP6_2000_c230517.nc". If anyone could share these files, I'd really appreciate it.

I've checked the trunk https://svn-ccsm-inputdata.cgd.ucar.edu/trunk/inputdata/lnd/clm2/surfdata_esmf/ctsm5.2.0/ It seems like the files I'm looking for might not be available there

Cheers,
Will

James King

James King
Hi Will,

If you have access to Glade, the files you're looking for are in

/glade/campaign/cesm/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/lnd/clm2/surfdata_esmf/ctsm5.2.0/

James

Will Smith

Will Smith
Hi Will,

If you have access to Glade, the files you're looking for are in

/glade/campaign/cesm/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/lnd/clm2/surfdata_esmf/ctsm5.2.0/

James
Hi James,

Thanks for your info, but unfortunately, I don't have access to Glade to check the files. I was wondering if there are any alternative ways to acquire them. If you could provide any assistance or guidance in obtaining these files, I would greatly appreciate it.

Will

James King

James King
Hi Will,

Looking at the trunk, there are newer files with the same resolutions and timestamps:

surfdata_1.9x2.5_hist_1850_78pfts_c240216.nc

surfdata_0.9x1.25_hist_2000_78pfts_c240216.nc

You could try these? You can also generate your own surfdata files using the mksrfdata_map tool within the CLM5 model code, but that would also require access to raw land use files on Glade and I'm not sure if the tool would download them for you. Someone at NCAR may be able to provide you with links to the original files you're looking for.

James

Will Smith

Will Smith
Hi James,

Thanks again for you info, I will try those same resolutions and timestamps files.

Best,
Will
Hi Will,

Looking at the trunk, there are newer files with the same resolutions and timestamps:

surfdata_1.9x2.5_hist_1850_78pfts_c240216.nc

surfdata_0.9x1.25_hist_2000_78pfts_c240216.nc

You could try these? You can also generate your own surfdata files using the mksrfdata_map tool within the CLM5 model code, but that would also require access to raw land use files on Glade and I'm not sure if the tool would download them for you. Someone at NCAR may be able to provide you with links to the original files you're looking for.

James

slevis

Will, if you use CTSM5.2 or newer, then you should be fine with the files recommended by James (thank you by the way, James!).

However, if you use certain earlier versions of the land model, then you probably need the files that you requested because they differ a bit from the final CTSM5.2 files.

You should be able to get the files with
wget ftp://ftp.cgd.ucar.edu/pub/slevis/will_smith/surfdata_1.9x2.5_hist_78pfts_CMIP6_1850_c230517.nc
wget ftp://ftp.cgd.ucar.edu/pub/slevis/will_smith/surfdata_0.9x1.25_hist_78pfts_CMIP6_2000_c230517.nc

Will Smith

Will Smith
Will, if you use CTSM5.2 or newer, then you should be fine with the files recommended by James (thank you by the way, James!).

However, if you use certain earlier versions of the land model, then you probably need the files that you requested because they differ a bit from the final CTSM5.2 files.

You should be able to get the files with
wget ftp://ftp.cgd.ucar.edu/pub/slevis/will_smith/surfdata_1.9x2.5_hist_78pfts_CMIP6_1850_c230517.nc
wget ftp://ftp.cgd.ucar.edu/pub/slevis/will_smith/surfdata_0.9x1.25_hist_78pfts_CMIP6_2000_c230517.nc
Hi Slevis,

Thank you for your helpful reminder. It's working now.

Best,
Will