Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to use load_balacing_solve.py? What is the data format of its input?

peverley

Courtney Peverley
Hi,

I believe you can use the timing data from a successful simulation with the "--timing-dir" option like..

./load_balancing_solve.py --timing-dir /full/path/to/timing/directory/in/your/case --total-tasks <tasks> --blocksize <blocksize> --layout IceLndAtmOcn

You can also use load_balancing_submit.py to run a series of simulations, as described in the documentation you linked.

Hope that helps.

Courtney

wfc1102@163_com

Hi,

I believe you can use the timing data from a successful simulation with the "--timing-dir" option like..

You can also use load_balancing_submit.py to run a series of simulations, as described in the documentation you linked.

Hope that helps.

Courtney
Thank you Courtney.
It seems load_balancing_solve.py and load_balancing_submit.py are written in python2 format. Because under python/3.10.10, it raises errors.

export PYTHONPATH=~/cesm2.2.2/cime/scripts/:~/cesm2.2.2/cime/tools/load_balancing_tool/​
./load_balancing_solve.py --timing-dir ~/cesm2.2.2/cime/scripts/BHIST.f09_g17/timing/ --layout IceLndAtmOcn --total-tasks 360 --blocksize 8 --json-output a.json --test-root ~/cesm2.2.2/exps/BHIST.f09_g17/run/​
./load_balancing_solve.py", line 21​
except ImportError, e:​
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^​
SyntaxError: multiple exception types must be parenthesized​

Anyway, this is a small issue and does not matter that much. Then I turn to python2.7
conda create -n py27 python=2.7​
conda activate py27​

It raises other errors:
found directory ~/cesm2.2.2/cime/scripts/BHIST.f09_g17/timing/​
Reading timing file ~/cesm2.2.2/cime/scripts/BHIST.f09_g17/timing/cesm_timing.BHIST.f09_g17.32403813.240411-182424​
Writing MILP data to a.json​
Traceback (most recent call last):​
File "load_balancing_solve.py", line 341, in <module>​
_main_func(__doc__)​
File "load_balancing_solve.py", line 336, in _main_func​
sys.exit(load_balancing_solve(test_id, test_root, timing_dir, blocksizes, total_tasks, layout, graph_models, print_models, pe_output, json_output, json_input))​
File "load_balancing_solve.py", line 305, in load_balancing_solve​
opt = optimize_model.solver_factory(data)​
File "~/cesm2.2.2/cime/tools/load_balancing_tool/optimize_model.py", line 50, in solver_factory​
solver.set_data(data)​
File "~/cesm2.2.2/cime/tools/load_balancing_tool/optimize_model.py", line 109, in set_data​
self.models[key] = ModelData(key, data_dict[key])​
File "~/cesm2.2.2/cime/tools/load_balancing_tool/optimize_model.py", line 59, in __init__​
self.blocksize = model_dict['blocksize']​
KeyError: 'blocksize'​

First, I am not sure what is the vaule '--blocksize 8' means, Does it come from somewhere in my simulation --blocksize simulation BHIST.f09_g17? I only found some BLCK strings in env_build.xml.
env_build.xml: can manually set the values of CICE_BLCKX, CICE_BLCKY, CICE_MXBLCKS,​
env_build.xml: <entry id="CICE_BLCKX" value="4">​
env_build.xml: <entry id="CICE_BLCKY" value="96">​
env_build.xml: <entry id="CICE_MXBLCKS" value="2">​
env_build.xml: <entry id="CICE_CPPDEFS" value=" -Dncdf -DNUMIN=11 -DNUMAX=99 -DNICECAT=5 -DNXGLOB=320 -DNYGLOB=384 -DNTRAERO=3 -DNTRISO=0 -DNBGCLYR=3 -DNICELYR=8 -DNSNWLYR=3 -DTRAGE=1 -DTRFY=1 -DTRLVL=1 -DTRPND=1 -DTRBRI=0 -DTRBGCS=0 -DBLCKX=4 -DBLCKY=96 -DMXBLCKS=2">​
env_build.xml: <entry id="POP_BLCKX" value="64">​
env_build.xml: <entry id="POP_BLCKY" value="48">​
env_build.xml: <entry id="POP_MXBLCKS" value="1">​
env_build.xml: <entry id="POP_CPPDEFS" value="-DCCSMCOUPLED -DMARBL_TIMING_OPT=CIME -DBLCKX=64 -DBLCKY=48 -DMXBLCKS=1 -DNT=38 -DMARBL_NT=32 -DIRF_NT=0 ">​

Second, This is a new machine called "pi2", without setting "--test-root ..." it will raise:
Could not find machine match for 'pilogin3.pi.sjtu.edu.cn' or 'pilogin3.pi.sjtu.edu.cn'​
Could not find machine match for 'pilogin3.pi.sjtu.edu.cn' or 'pilogin3.pi.sjtu.edu.cn'​
ERROR: Could not initialize machine object from ~/cesm2.2.2/cime/config/cesm/machines/config_machines.xml or ~/cesm2.2.2/cime/config/e3sm/machines/config_machines.xml. This machine is not available for the target CIME_MODEL. The supported CIME_MODELS that can be used are: []​
And "./load_balancing_solve.py --help" shows as below. Then I suppose add machine information by adding "--test-root TEST_ROOT".
-r TEST_ROOT, --test-root TEST_ROOT
Where test cases were created. Will default to output
root as defined in the config_machines file (default:
None)