Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

CAM4 with microphysics mg1

pbreul

Philipp Breul
Hi everyone,

I am running CAM4 on CESM2.1.3, but would like to have a better Aerosol-Cloud Interaction. I therefore tried to change the microphysics package to the one developed for CESM5, by running: ./xmlchange --append CAM_CONFIG_OPTS='-microphys mg1'.

I can build the case, however when running I get the error "ERROR: Attempt to find undefined name in pbuf CICEWP" in the CESM/CAM log file.

Is what I am trying to do not possible, or do I have to adjust additional settings?

I am thankful for any suggestions :).

Best wishes,
Philipp

brianpm

Hi Phillipp --

Well, I would say that what you want to do is *possible*, but it's probably not as easy as changing CAM_CONFIG_OPTS. I feel like there are a bunch of places throughout physpkg.F90 where there are checks to figure out what model physics and/or what microphysics are being used. The division of work between "microphysics" and "macrophysics" changed quite a bit between CAM4 and CAM5, so I don't think the issue is as easy as just running the MG microphysics in CAM4; I suspect that the "grid scale condensation/evaporation" (i.e., macrophysics) would have to be handled differently too.

The specific issue you are seeing, I think has to do the additional fields that the MG microphysics needs to use (in-cloud water paths in this case). Probably you're seeing this because physpkg is running the wrong microphysics initialization, but that's just a guess.

Honestly, I think if you're interested in aerosol-cloud interaction effects, it might be more fruitful to start from a model that has ACI (CAM5 or CAM6) and then make changes to remove the ACI. But depends on your application whether that makes sense.

pbreul

Philipp Breul
Hi Brian,

Thank you for the very insightful comment, at least I know now that there is no easy fix.
My problem is that I already have a bunch of experiments with a specific custom component set (using CAM4) and would ideally keep everything as close as possible to this component set. For a new set of experiments I however need some representation of aerosol-cloud interactions, which the rk microphysics does not have at all as far as I understand?

I will have a think what the most sensible way forward is for me and will probably post some follow up question no matter which route I take :D.

Thanks a lot.

Philipp